Jacob Summerlin the “Cattle King of Florida” shown up in 1873 to acquire 200 acres of land in what is now Downtown Orlando. Shortly after the acquisition, on the edge of his property there was a sink opening developing. Together with the counsel of an organic aquifer 200 feet below ground and the flooding of storm water, this location came to be a lovely lake.
Recognized to everyone as Sandy Beach, this lake was excellent for the settlers to appreciate on warm Florida days. In 1883 the Summerlin household donated a strip of their land around the lake for public usage. Sandy Beach was renamed Lake Eola in memory of Robert Summerlin’s a lot departed sweetie.
In 1888, Lake Eola was realized as a City of Orlando public park.